19 June 2007

Rhinestones & Rib-Scented Smoke

Dusty (not her real name) is a ‘’mature’’ woman in her mid-sixties, with long platinum-gold hair. Her two-inch nails are usually painted neon pink. Sometimes she paints them a more conservative Jungle Red. The large beauty mark on her left cheek directly below her eye, on occasion, ends up closer to her lips than her lashes. According to her Supervisor, a handsome young man in his mid thirties, Dusty has been working at this desert store for almost a year. You see, Dusty is unique in her style - she’s cheery, enthusiastic, and oozing with grandmotherly charm (well, that is if your grandmother also dresses like Britney Spears).

One of the things I like most about living in the Coachella Valley is that alongside the conventional you get the very unconventional. Like the sight of an authentic southern soul food restaurant, complete with a huge smoke-spewing barbeque pit, located right next to the giant IMAX theatre. I just love standing in line at the cinema while the wind shifts hurling plumes of baby back rib scented smoke in my face. It’s a priceless experience.

Or when I find myself sitting among the ‘’beautiful people’’ on El Paseo at the Starbucks Cafe having their latest Mocha Choca Lata Ya Ya, and a man who appears to be homeless, parks his shopping cart at one of the outdoor tables. He puts down one of his many books on the table and goes inside for a drink. Everyone seems to know him and he extends his pleasantries to the other patrons who are sipping their coffees. He sits there most of the afternoon, chatting with couples and Paris Hilton wannabes.

But not all those ‘’beautiful people’’ are just sitting around chatting up the homeless. Some of them actually do something about it. For the many homeless in the desert, there is a place called Martha’s Village and Kitchens that opened its doors 24 hours a day since the beginning of February 2007 (83791 Date Avenue, Indio, Ca 92201- (760) 347-4742). Moreover, the Palm Springs Homeless Task Force works tirelessly to provide essential services for those in need. Volunteering is a great way to get to know some of the people who make up this interesting area, and there are places that are always in need of volunteers and donations: Well in the Desert, Palm Springs – 219-3522. Coachella Valley Rescue Mission, Indio – 347-3512. These are just a few places on offer.

But whenever I want a good-hearted laugh, dealing with Dusty never fails. My first encounter with her was the result of a third-degree sunburn I got that needed immediate attention. I had decided to go for my daily walk in mid afternoon on a day when the temperature had reached 110 degrees. I was new to the desert and thrilled about exploring the city on foot. However, I did not bring an umbrella with me and I was wearing shorts. I ran into the air-conditioned drug store and stood motionless as the cool air seared my flesh like an ice cube on a griddle.

The woman behind the counter called out to me while peering over the shoulder of her customer, ‘’Hey, you! You look just like Diana Ross!’’ The line of clients that snaked back to the beverage section glanced at me, and just looked annoyed and impatient. I just smiled and crawled to the nearest aisle where I could find sun block and a hat. When I got to the counter, she looked at me and said ‘’Are you okay, honey?” I was not. I felt as though I had just walked through the first circle of hell and my internal organs were on fire. However, she made me laugh with her painful rendition of ‘’Baby Love’’ while trying to ring up my items with her nails. They kept hitting the wrong keys, so I was there for a good while. The next time I went into the store I saw that Dusty had cornered some poor woman who she thought ‘’looked just like Phyllis Diller’’, only prettier, she added.

I just laugh off her remarks and continue to shop there whenever I need supplies. While I find it annoying at times, it is also innocuous. And on some days when the line is particularly long and Dusty is covered in rhinestones from head-to-toe, I’ll just wave to her through the window as I pass by. Her eyes light up and she starts singing an off-key version of a Motown hit. I smile, give her a nod and just keep walking down the street until I can no longer hear her singing ‘’Reflections’’ through the sliding glass doors. Ah, the sounds and sights of the Desert.

No comments: